Watson Fellowship and Goldwater Scholarship winners named

Radu Stochita ’22 and Mary Nzeyimana ’22 were awarded the 2022 Thomas J. Watson Fellowship. In addition, Clara Benadon ’23, Seamus Frey ’23, Ari Geisler ’23 and Kellie Navarro ’23 were awarded the 2022 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship.

The Watson Fellowship provides a grant for a year of independent study outside of the United States. Members of the fellowship present at a conference in August of the following year to relay their findings with a larger group of scholars.

Stochita aims to understand the power of labor activism globally. He focuses on how labor can be a unifying force. He will travel to Norway, Belgium, India, Nepal and New Zealand to get the widest breadth of different labor programs that he can find, and he will connect with both agricultural and industrial communities.

Nzeyimana will focus on caregiving women and their role in their respective societies. She hopes to explore how caregiving can be both fulfilling and limiting in various communities and how women become involved in the role. She will travel to Rwanda, Kenya, India and the United Kingdom.

The Goldwater Scholarship, created by the US Congress to honor Senator Barry Goldwater, awards college sophomores and juniors who are pursuing natural science, engineering or math degrees a $7,500 tuition stipend.

All of the Bowdoin Goldwater Scholars hope to pursue a PhD in their respective fields. Benadon aims to pursue research about organism adaptation to environmental harm. Frey hopes to research and teach environmental chemistry at the university level. Geisler wants to use his studies to address important issues to him, human disease and climate change, through technological solution approaches. Navarro aims to research resilience to climate change within coastal ecosystems.

Seamus Frey ’23 is a member of the Bowdoin Orient.