Rise up for RISE

This piece represents the opinion of the Bowdoin Orient Editorial Board.

Many campus events have taken a back seat due to pandemic restrictions, including RISE. An annual production sharing the personal narratives and experiences of Bowdoin women, RISE will take place in person for the first time since February 2020 on Saturday.

What once spanned three days of packed attendance is now reserved to a single night, significantly limiting the amount of people who can see the show in person. Although the livestream offers a valuable option for those who can’t attend the live performance, it should not assume the place of the emotionally profound and insightful in-person experience. A live audience and performers have a relationship which depends on each other in many ways, and students should take advantage of opportunities to hear the stories of their peers in a communal context.

RISE leaders reported a large number of submissions this year, including two faculty submissions for the first time in the history of RISE. This reflects the sustained interest and need for the event. However, first years and sophomores have never witnessed RISE in person, and Kresge Auditorium’s maximum capacity of 300 seats may prevent them from doing so this year.

Although tools like live streams can offer valuable access to events for students who would choose not to attend in person, they should supplement, and not replace, the in-person experience that we can finally return to.

While a live-streamed experience might not feel as poignant, we encourage Polar Bears to make an active effort to view RISE regardless of its platform. However, in future years, returning to a three-day schedule is essential for RISE to remain a staple on campus.

The Bowdoin Orient Editorial Board consists of Aura Carlson, Chayma Charifi, Sebastian de Lasa, Diego Lasarte, Emma Sorkin, Emily Staten and Cole van Miltenburg.