Highlight Reel for February 18

UPHILL BATTLE

The Nordic ski team had one of its biggest challenges of the year this past weekend at the Dartmouth Carnival. The unusually warm winter temperatures led to soft and slushy snow conditions, which made the team’s wax setup exceptionally difficult. Despite the subpar conditions, the Polar Bears skied to a fifth-place overall finish, with a number of impressive individual performances as well. On the men’s side, Elliot Ketchel ’21 finished a season-best fifth place, while Zachary Ennis ’23 finished in 20th. Ketchel also finished 13th overall on Sunday in the 10-kilometer skate race. As the day continued, the women’s team found success individually as well, with Renae Anderson ’21 finishing 8th. Next up, the team will travel to Vermont for the Middlebury Carnival on February 18.

CINCO GOODBYE-O

The women’s squash team finished fifth overall at the NESCAC Championships in Hamilton this past weekend. After falling just short to the third seeded Williams 4-5 in the quarterfinal round of the tournament, the team rallied and earned successive decisive victories against Middlebury and rival Bates. Against Middlebury, the Polar Bears won by a 7-2 tally with standout performances from Amanda Cowhey ’25 and Melissa Horan ’22. In the final match against Bates, Emma Watts-Roy ’25 and Clio Bersani ’22 helped lead the team to its second back-to-back 7-2 victory. Following the NESCAC Championship, the women’s squash team improved to 11-7 on the year and is currently ranked 16th nationally. Next up, Bowdoin will compete at the CSA National Tournament on February 25.

BORN TO RUN

Both men’s and women’s track and field teams boasted impressive performances this past weekend at the competitive Dave Hemery Valentine Invitational at Boston University. Once again, Ajay Olson ’23 stood out against the competition, as he recorded the top 200m DIII time in the country. Olson’s time of 21.70 also broke the previous Bowdoin record for the distance and is the fourth-best time in DIII history for the event. For the women’s team, Cianna O’Flaherty ’23 finished with a personal best time in the 500m. Next up, the Bowdoin track and field team will compete at home in the Lynn Ruddy Invitational this Saturday.