COVID-19 restrictions loosen after a week of remote learning

In an email to the campus community on January 28, COVID-19 Resource Coordinator and Director of Residential and Student Life Mike Ranen announced that the College’s COVID-19 restrictions would once again be lightened. Most of the new guidelines took effect on Monday as masked students returned to the classroom.

The new restrictions largely resemble those of the fall semester, with a few caveats. Faculty and staff are not permitted to dine on campus, but dining in both Thorne Dining Hall and Moulton Union returned to in-person at 50 percent capacity for students. Spectators—both from the Bowdoin community and beyond—are welcome to attend home athletic events, as long as they are masked and can provide proof of vaccination.

As the first week of this spring’s in-person classes comes to a close, Ranen believes that the campus community is adjusting to the ever-changing pandemic and its consequent restrictions well.

“Things continue to be thrown at [everyone],” Ranen said. “These last two years have been incredibly challenging, but I really appreciate how much Bowdoin students, faculty and staff are looking out for each other.”