College to require booster shot

In an email to the campus community Wednesday, President Clayton Rose announced that the College will require all eligible students, staff and faculty to receive COVID-19 booster shots in order to return to campus for the spring semester. After receiving a COVID-19 booster shot, students, faculty and staff will be required to submit proof of vaccination to the College.

“There was a lot of looking at the evidence of what protection boosters give and talking with public health experts about what to expect as the year progresses, as the winter progresses and realizing that vaccines continue to be our best shot at stopping serious illness,” COVID-19 Resource Coordinator and Director of Residential and Student Life Mike Ranen said.

The booster requirement goes into effect January 21, 2022, and all community members must be vaccinated within 30 days of eligibility. Pre-existing exemptions for COVID-19 vaccination requirements for campus community members will also carry over to the booster shot requirement.

Rose also outlined the testing protocol for community members returning to campus for the spring semester, including a required rapid test upon arrival. He mentioned that there will also be a new pool testing approach for next semester, though more details will follow in the coming weeks.

Additionally, the College will work to meet the needs of international students on an individual basis.

“We will work, just like we did with this vaccine requirement, with students individually to make sure they have what they need,” Ranen said.

The College will host a COVID-19 booster clinic at Farley Field House from 8:00 a.m. to noon Monday, Wednesday and Friday of next week in partnership with Mid Coast Hospital. There are a total of 720 slots available during this clinic.

“Appointments will be limited, but a second booster clinic on campus is planned for the week of January 17,” Rose wrote.