To the Bowdoin community,

This piece represents the opinion of the Bowdoin Orient Editorial Board.

To the Bowdoin and Brunswick community,

The passing of our friend, classmate and community member has rocked our lives in unfathomable ways. We are trying to take care of ourselves, our loved ones, our friends, our acquaintances and our colleagues. It is crucial that we come together as a community both now and in the weeks to come.

As we try to re-adjust to our routines and move further from the immediate impacts of last week’s tragedy, the most important thing we can do is continue to prioritize our mental health. Remember the ways that we came together this week, verbalizing our love, support and care for one another, and please do not forget the innumerable people on campus and beyond who have your back.

Counselors, coaches, captains, club leaders, proctors, RAs, peer health mentors and especially professors—just to scratch the surface—are willing and ready to listen.

Remember, professors are here for us and are also experiencing many of the same challenges we are. Many of us spend more time with professors than any other “adult” on campus. While we watch them teach, they watch us think, process and grow. Vocalizing your needs and anything you are struggling with can help both you and your professors navigate healthy expectations and manageable work. Professors are in a unique position to understand your situation. We are in this together.

Speaking with staff and faculty can be helpful, but speaking to fellow students who have a shared perspective can also provide much needed support. Peer Counseling, which is offered every Wednesday from 8 p.m. – 9 p.m., is a low-pressure way to process and share the issues you face and hear about others’ experiences as well.

While the community here is strong and accepting, keep in mind the resources outside of Bowdoin—family, friends, therapists, mentors. Engaging with support off-campus can provide clarity in life on-campus. Sometimes space is necessary. Take space and time to recognize and realize your needs and desires.

Take care of yourself, loved ones, friends, acquaintances and colleagues.

With love,

The Bowdoin Orient

This editorial represents the view of the Editorial Board, which is comprised of Halina Bennet, Seamus Frey, Aura Carlson, Diego Lasarte and Emma Sorkin.

In the event of a mental health crisis:

During the counseling center’s business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30 – 5:00), you can call Counseling and Wellness Services at 207-725-3145 or walk into the counseling center (32 College Street) and identify the situation as urgent and you will be seen by a clinician as soon as possible. The receptionist will link you with a clinician who, after assessing the situation, will provide support and resources as well as a plan for next steps.

During non-business hours in the evenings or on the weekends, you can reach out to our 24/7/365 on call services, LifeWorks/MySSP, through the app or the website or you can call the Office of Safety & Security at 207-725-3314 for assistance in connecting you to on call services. Please know that a counselor on call is available as well for any additional support and resources.