Employee tests positive for COVID-19, second case in one week

A College employee tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday, according to an email sent to all staff and students from COVID-19 Resource Coordinator Mike Ranen on Tuesday evening. The employee has not been on campus since October 28 and received their positive result from outside the College’s testing program. This positive result marks the sixth case among employees and on-campus students and the second case in one week.

The employee developed cold-like symptoms four days after their on-campus negative test on October 28 and was tested independently on November 3, the result of which came back positive yesterday. Ranen clarified that because the employee was not on campus within the 72 hours before developing symptoms, they did not come into close contact with anyone in the College community at a time when the infection was likely contagious.

In his email, Ranen urged caution and compliance with COVID-19 protocols given the recent surge in cases in Brunswick and statewide. Additionally, he noted that students who are possibly exposed to the virus in the next ten days will be required to complete their 14 day quarantine before being able to leave campus.

“Please be sure to wear face coverings at all times unless you are alone in your room or private office, wash your hands with soap frequently, and observe an appropriate physical distance from others,” Ranen wrote. “It is through these critical steps that we have our best chance of keeping the virus at bay and concluding the on-campus portion of the semester safely and successfully at the end of next week.”