OneDay postponed, administration says not the time to “focus on Bowdoin”

Ann Basu
ONE DAY Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Bowdoin OneDay, originally scheduled to be April 7, will be postponed indefinitely. Despite the event being cancelled, Scott Meiklejohn, senior vice president for development and alumni relations, said that alumni donations are more critical than ever.

Bowdoin OneDay, the College’s largest annual fundraising event for the Alumni Fund, has been postponed indefinitely due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This year’s event had been scheduled to take place on April 7.

Scott Meiklejohn, senior vice president for development and alumni relations, explained that the Alumni Fund is working to reschedule the celebration.

“OneDay has become an important celebration of the College and a huge part of our Alumni Fund year, so we were sorry to postpone,” Meiklejohn wrote in an email to the Orient. “However, we decided that it wasn’t the right time to ask everyone to focus on Bowdoin given all of the other things people are navigating right now.”

Meiklejohn wrote that despite the event’s postponement, the College considers alumni donations and the Alumni Fund more critical now than ever.

“The Alumni Fund has never been more important given all the unexpected costs the College has absorbed over the last month or so,” he wrote.

Meiklejohn added that he is hopeful the OneDay event can be held in May, but his office has not made a final decision about a new date.