Shooting on Federal Street leaves one dead Monday night

No threat to Brunswick or to campus, police say

One man is dead following a shooting in a Federal Street apartment on Monday night. Another man was shot and injured at the scene.

The first man, Ali Fisher of Lisbon, broke into the apartment carrying a handgun, according to a release from the Maine State Police, and entered into an altercation with an occupant of the apartment, a 22-year-old woman. A struggle for the weapon ensued in the apartment between Fisher and another man, who was visiting the occupant. During the struggle, both men were shot. Fisher fled the apartment and died outside. The other man was transported to a nearby hospital, treated and released. State police have not released the name of the other people involved because they do not plan to charge either of them. 

According to a statement from the Brunswick Police Department, officers received a call about the shooting at approximately 10:30 p.m.. The shooting took place at the Tedford Housing family shelter at 34 Federal Street, less than a mile from campus.

The Office of Safety and Security did not send a security alert to the Bowdoin community about the shooting because police determined that there was no threat to campus or to Brunswick, said Randy Nichols, executive director of Safety and Security.

A woman and her child were staying in the apartment where the shooting took place, Tedford Housing’s Executive Director Craig Phillips told the Times Record. No children were in the apartment at the time of the shooting. Neither man involved was staying at the shelter, and neither should have been there at the time, said Phillips.

“We are saddened and heartbroken by the incident that occurred at Tedford Housing’s family shelter last night,” read a release from the shelter published Tuesday morning. “The two men involved were not guests of the shelter and, unfortunately, both had guns, which are not allowed on Tedford Housing property.”

Phillips told the Times Record the shelter may consider increasing security measures after looking at its procedures and rules.

Editor’s Note: A version of this article originally appeared online on Tuesday, November 19. It has been updated to include newly released details.