Crime report shows liquor violations back up, slightly

The number of on-campus liquor violations rose 28 percent from 2017 while the number of drug violations dropped by a third, according to the Bowdoin Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. These numbers, however, follow a general downward trend that began in the early 2010s.

There were 96 liquor violations reported in 2018—77 of which occurred in college residences—which was up from 75 in 2017 but still a dramatic decrease from the 154 violations reported in 2016. The number of liquor violations reached its peak in 2012 with 177 violations.

There were two on-campus liquor-related arrests made in 2018, however, up from the zero reported the previous six years. This increase in arrests occurred in conjunction with a perceived increase in activity from—and a lower approval rating of—the Brunswick Police Department (BPD). While possession of alcohol by a minor is not an arrestable offense under Maine law, the distribution of alcohol to a minor is.

On-campus drug violations also have steadily declined since an apex of 55 violations in 2013. There were only 14 reported drug violations in 2018, which was a decrease from 21 in 2017. There were zero drug-related arrests last year.

Other reported on-campus crimes have also been decreasing in recent years. There were seven reported cases of rape in 2018, down from nine in 2017 and 12 in 2016. These cases include both reports made to the Title IX office and reports made to Security. There were also two burglaries, which is consistent with the low numbers seen in recent years.

While encouraging, these numbers notably only take into account activity which occurred on-campus or on College-owned property and exclude arrests and violations that occurred on property not owned by the College, such as off-campus houses.