Sports in Brief: Football suffers historic loss

Bowdoin football (0-2, 0-2 NESCAC) suffered one of the most lopsided losses in program history on Saturday, falling to Trinity (1-1, NESCAC 1-1) 61-7.

The 54-point margin of defeat is the third largest in the team’s history during the modern record era, which began in 1921. Trinity is also responsible for Bowdoin’s largest margin of defeat on record, a 56-point drubbing (63-7) in 1993.

“They’re better than us. That’s life. They’re better than us physically,” said Head Coach BJ Hammer. “In a rebuilding process, when you get beat physically, it shows you where you have to get to get to that level.”

After scoring only once in the first quarter, the Bantams broke the game open in the second quarter, posting 27 points in a span of just under 12 minutes. Trinity’s quarterback, Seamus Lambert ’22, ended the game with 391 yards and five touchdown passes. Wide receiver DeVante Reid ’22 caught six passes for 246 yards and four touchdowns.

Bowdoin’s offense posted 197 yards of offensive while surrendering 572 yards to the Bantams. The Polar Bears recorded their only score of the game in the third quarter on a one-yard touchdown pass from Austin McCrum ’21 to Patrick Zepf ’22, which came only after a flag on a personal foul saved Bowdoin from having to punt.

McCrum completed 16 of 30 passes for 121 yards and one touchdown. Brendan Ward ’22 led the Polar Bears in rushing with 48 yards on nine carries, and Bo Millett ’21 led the team with three receptions for 48 yards.

Running back Nate Richam-Odoi ’20 had 15 carries for 32 yards, but sat for most of the second half as a precautionary measure after taking several big hits in the first half, Hammer explained.

“You can put a win or you can put a loss behind you, it don’t matter,” Hammer said. “You put it behind you and you move on to next week, ‘cause you can’t let anything linger week to week.”

Bowdoin faces off against Williams on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Williamstown. The Ephs sit at 1-1 after falling to Middlebury in the first week of NESCAC play and beating Tufts in the second. Williams holds a 53-15-6 edge in the all-time series between the two teams and has won the last six contests, dating back to 2007.