Updated: Missing security officer found dead

June 6, 2018

Update: Friday, June 8 at 10:05 AM:

According to a statement from Brunswick Police Department (BPD) Patrol Commander Tom Garrepy, Security Officer Daniel Gagnon’s body was found in a densely wooded area about 100 yards off of River Road. Maine Warden Service Corporal Dave Chabot located the body with the help of his cadaver dog a few hours after a team of about 20 people began to search along the edges of the Androscoggin River.

Although his death is still being investigated by BPD and the Maine Medical Examiner’s Office, it does not appear that it was a result of foul play.

Original article, published June 6:

After a search that lasted almost a week, Bowdoin Security Officer Daniel Gagnon was found dead in Brunswick this morning. He was 26.

Gagnon will be remembered by Bowdoin students, faculty and staff as a kindhearted individual who was dedicated to making our lives safer. He joined the security team in May of 2016 after working as a lieutenant in the Boothbay Fire Department.

Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration & Treasurer Matthew Orlando informed the College’s faculty and staff of Gagnon’s death in an email earlier today.

“He was a valued colleague and was considered by those who worked with him in security as a top officer, a good man, and a good friend. He recently earned a promotion to security officer first-class that was to have taken effect on July 1st … all of us at the College benefited from Dan’s dedicated service,” Orlando wrote.

Gagnon had not been seen since the afternoon of May 30, when he reportedly left his Brunswick home on foot. Along with the Brunswick Police Department (BPD) and the Maine Wardens Service, members of the Bowdoin community engaged in the search for Gagnon, which focused on the area around Pleasant Hill Road. On Saturday, a group of 60 volunteers set out in an ultimately unsuccessful search from Watson Arena.

BPD declined to comment on the matter at this time, as it has not yet officially confirmed Gagnon’s death.

According to Orlando, details about a memorial service for Gagnon will be communicated to the College community as soon as they are confirmed.

Editor’s Note: 6/6/18 at 2:38 p.m. This article was updated to reflect details about a memorial service as they are currently known.