BSG talks the College’s finances with Matt Orlando

On Wednesday, Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) met with Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration & Treasurer Matt Orlando, who provided a presentation on the distribution of the College’s funds and functions of the endowment.

Orlando’s presentation detailed the breakdown of the revenue budget. The College has $227 million in its annual budget, of which 40 percent comes from comprehensive fees like tuition, 48 percent from the Endowment Distribution, five percent from unrestricted annual giving, and seven percent from all other sources. Orlando detailed how, in the past, tuition made a greater contribution to the College’s revenue. Since 2006, however, tuition’s percentage of the revenue has decreased from roughly 60 to 40 percent. Instead of tuition, the endowment now makes up a larger portion of the budget.

The College’s current endowment is $2.4 billion. Forty-six percent of the endowment distribution goes towards scholarships, which—Orlando noted is a higher figure in comparison to other private higher education institutions. Because of this, Orlando said the College can keep its commitment to meet the needs of every admitted student as a part of its need-blind policy.

Orlando emphasized that the College’s return objective is to generate a stable stream of support to keep the College functioning for years to come. In order to meet this goal, Orlando said the College is mindful of how much of the endowment is spent.