CSA provides Christian and interfaith community

Whether through Bible study groups or s’mores and songs around the bonfire, the Christian Students Association (CSA) works hard to provide Bowdoin students who identify as Christian with a sense of religious belonging and community grounded in inclusion, collaboration and celebration of their faith.

Even before Club Leader Sara Morcos ’24 came to campus, she knew maintaining her faith was important to her. She joined the CSA when she got to Bowdoin as a first-year representative.

“I was really interested when I came to Bowdoin in continuing, practicing or staying connected to my faith,” Morcos said. “[The CSA has] been a pretty integral part of me staying connected to my faith in the sense of being able to be in fellowship with other Christian students on campus and meeting new students.”

Ayana Opong-Nyantekyi ’23 agrees that the CSA has been an essential part of her time at Bowdoin. She was on the leadership board during her sophomore and junior years and now finds community at CSA dinners and holiday celebrations.

“I appreciate the community of people [whom] I have gotten to know through CSA and people in all walks of their journey in the Christian faith. And so that has been great to get to know others and support one another,” Opong-Nyanteki said. “People come throughout the year to different events and I usually meet new people every time, so it’s nice to see that.”

The CSA’s biggest event of the year is its Easter celebration. In recent years, the gathering has been a relatively small one, with primarily CSA and Catholic Student Union (CSU) members attending. But this year, the two groups worked together to open the Easter celebration to the larger community. The groups held a brunch in Boody-Johnson House for the Bowdoin community and an Easter Egg hunt for Brunswick residents at large.

“It was really successful,” Morcos said. “There were a bunch of kids that came out with their parents. And we just had a bunch of eggs laid out in the Boody-Johnson backyard…. Students were able to play and interact with the children as well as their parents, which was really really nice.”

Alongside Easter celebrations, the CSA hosts worship nights at the Bowdoin Outing Club and 30 College, which Sergianni Jennings ’26 said helped her connect more with her faith.

“I really enjoyed having a space to talk about scripture—not necessarily to analyze it—but to instead reflect on it,” Jennings said. “CSA is a very important club to me because without it I don’t think I would have an outlet to talk about such things like the Bible and continue on my own spiritual journey [otherwise].”

Morcos said that she hopes the CSA’s future will involve the creation of more interfaith events.

“With future leaders, I hope that they’re able to come up with new fun events and figure out ways to really have more interfaith dialogues and interfaith events. So, possibly collaborating more with Hillel and CSU would be really nice in the future,” she said.