Inside “Chuffed”: Brunswick’s woman-owned barber shop

HAMMOND CHEESIN': Chuffed resident pup Hammond smiles at the camera with barber-shop owner Kristy Beury-Moore.

Kristy Beury-Moore is an art school drop-out, cosmetologist, the second-best female wrestler in Maine and the owner of Chuffed, Brunswick’s woman-owned barber shop located on Maine Street. Chuffed was founded in March 2022 with a mission to offer a friendly and trendy spot for anybody looking for a stylish, manageable haircut.

From black and gold wingback chairs to graphic posters and plants galore, the decor is sure to leave an impression. Upon entering, clients are encouraged to grab a drink and unwind while Kristy and her crew work their magic. But it’s not just the ambiance that sets Chuffed apart—it’s the friendliness behind the shears. Kristy and her staff are artists skilled in the art of hair design and committed to delivering a superior one-on-one experience for each and every client.

“I want everyone that leaves here to feel more like themselves and like a better person,” Beury-Moore said. “I am so intentional about focusing on what the client wants and being open about all sorts of styles.”

Beury-Moore’s journey as a barber shop owner started in art school. She then shifted career paths, dropping out of art school and cutting hair in Portland. During her career journey, she realized that cutting men’s hair was a lot more rewarding to her than doing women’s hair. Beury-Moore cited the unique challenges and nuances of men’s hair as a major factor allowing men’s haircuts to offer a more immediate sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

“I went to a barber shop in Portland and learned to do men’s hair,” Beury-Moore said. “I think men’s hair is very, very rewarding because it’s not like cutting women’s hair. You go in and like, you get a trim or curl it or style it in some way. But with men’s hair, it’s ‘this is obviously a good haircut’ and ‘this is obviously a bad haircut’. It’s high-risk, but I like that about it because it’s more satisfying.”

This riskiness also extends itself to Beury-Moore’s hobbies and other sectors of her life—one of which is wrestling.

“I’ve never considered myself a risky person, but I guess when I think about it, I dropped out of school and opened a barber shop. And I’m a woman wrestler,” Beury-Moore said.

Beury-Moore is also drawn to cutting hair because she understands the importance of connecting with clients on a personal level. She believes it is important to know which sort of customer you are working with and alter her communication approach accordingly. Some clients may enjoy a chatty and engaging environment, whilst others may prefer a calmer and more concentrated environment. Knowing how to effectively evaluate a client’s requirements and preferences may make or break the haircut experience.

“I’m intuitive to their responses. If they give me lengthy responses, then great, I’m glad to have a conversation with them. I like to make things like this as short and fun as possible,” Beury-Moore said.

This approach has served Beury-Moore and her team well, as they have encountered a wide range of clients since opening Chuffed Barber Co. Some have come in seeking a quick trim, while others have been looking for a full grooming experience complete with hot towel shaves and styling. But no matter the client, the team at Chuffed is dedicated to providing the best possible service—which includes Eco Esthetics, Chuffed’s esthetic services that offer “Earth-friendly skincare and waxing.”

And if you head to Chuffed for a stellar cut in the Tontine Mall, don’t forget to pet Hammond, Chuffed’s canine mascot.

“I always recommend people to pet Hammond,” Beury-Moore said. “He gets sad if you don’t.”