Campus Sustainability Honored

Last week, the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) recognized Bowdoin in the organization’s annual Sustainable Campus Index. The College received a gold Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) rating.

As established by the Sustainable Campus index, STARS is a robust and widely-used system by higher education institutions.

“STARS is a voluntary framework used by hundreds of colleges and universities to measure, report and strengthen their contributions to global sustainability,” the Index reads.

Additionally, Bowdoin tied for fifth with Davidson College in the Air and Climate category. Institutions were ranked in this category in relation to how effective they were at reducing their air pollutant emissions in order to positively impact the health of their local communities and regions. The Air and Climate category covers greenhouse gas emissions assessment and mitigation and outdoor air quality.

The College also received 10th place in the Public Engagement category. Schools were ranked in this category according to how well they fostered community and inter-campus partnerships, continuing education, community service, public policy participation and trademark licensing.

Notably, Colby College bested Bowdoin in both categories. It was also the overall top performer of the participating baccalaureate institutions. Bates College came in eighth, while Bowdoin did not break into the top ten.