President Rose launches lectures series in aftermath of Capitol riot

In an email to the campus on Thursday afternoon, President Clayton Rose announced the launch of a semester-long lecture series titled “After the Insurrection: Conversations on Democracy.”The series includes six events featuring speakers who are experts on voting and extremism, including Senator Susan Collins (R-ME). Each of these conversations will be moderated by a member of the Bowdoin community.

The series kicks off next Thursday with an event featuring Timothy Snyder, the Richard C. Levin professor of history at Yale University, and an expert in the history of fascism. The event will be moderated by Page Herrlinger, associate professor of history at Bowdoin.

In the email, Rose referred to another message he sent on January 6 in response to the insurrection on the Capitol.

“Today’s events are a stark reminder that we take our freedoms and our democracy for granted at our peril,” Rose wrote on January 6. “They require our attention and engagement, and our willingness to hold our elected leaders accountable.”

2 comments:

1. Class of '10 says:

really? susan collins?

I guess stuff like this maybe qualifies her as an expert on extremism: https://mainernews.com/susan-collins-backs-qanon-believers-for-maine-legislature/

Susan Collins Backs QAnon Believers for Maine Legislature
    Candidates advocate “God-declared executions” for “traitorous” Jews, Catholics, Black Lives Matter and environmental activists

• Meg Barclay '81 says:

I couldn’t agree more. I can’t imagine what substantive insight Susan Collins, who, according to her own public statement on the insurrection in the Bangor Daily News, thought the attack was Iranians, could contribute to the conversation. I think the time would be better used by someone who is more aware of the internal threats to our democracy.