Highlight Reel for October 30

AN EXTRA YEAR

Yesterday, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Presidents announced that all Division III athletes can compete in athletic competitions and practices this academic year without losing a season of eligibility. This is a one-time waiver, and the Presidents hope that it will allow student athletes to have more flexibility in deciding their academic plans for the spring 2021 semester. The decision was supported by three quarters of NCAA Division III conferences.

INCLUSION WEEK

This past week, the NCAA kicked off their third annual Diversity and Inclusion Social Media Campaign with three days of curated stories. The first day of programming was this past Tuesday, titled “My Story Matters.” With this theme, the NCAA explored student athletes’ identities, perspectives and experiences. The second day, last Wednesday, was called “I’ve Got Your Back,” and it showcased student athletes supporting each other to foster inclusive environments. The final event yesterday was named “Together We Rise,” and it highlighted personal action steps athletes can take toward inclusive excellence and celebrated collaboration across campus communities. Through these themes, the NCAA hoped to showcase the importance of awareness, education and engagement in creating inclusive environments in college sports. More information about the campaign and resources for creating an inclusive environment can be found on the NCAA’s website.

CITY OF CHAMPIONS

The Los Angeles Dodgers defeated the Tampa Bay Rays in game six of the World Series this past Tuesday, clinching their first championship since 1988. The team, led by four-time All-Star outfielder Mookie Betts and eight-time All-Star pitcher Clayton Kershaw, finished the shortened Major League Baseball (MLB) season with the best win percentage among all teams. They were clear favorites going in, but many did not think they had it in them to finish out the series after an embarrassing finish to game four, which allowed the Rays to tie the series at two games a piece. However, the Dodgers got down to business, only giving up three runs between games five and six. With this win, Los Angeles sees its second championship of the 2020 athletics season as the Dodgers joined the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team in winning their respective playoffs.