BSG outlines the semester with COVID-19 in mind

The Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) conducted its first meeting of the 2020-21 academic year over Zoom last Wednesday. Kicking off the meeting, Marcus Williams ’21, BSG president, welcomed new members and introduced an overview of BSG in the era of COVID-19.

“Today is going to be just a broad overview of what the BSG will look like—we aren’t going to get into anything too serious,” said Williams during the meeting. “We are just going to go over the big rules and laws and how assembly will function.”

After the initial icebreaker, returning members presented a PowerPoint detailing procedure and an overview of quorum practice. Williams also presented what he calls a “10,000-foot view” of what BSG does, which includes both advocacy for students and setting rules and precedents.

“We advocate on behalf of students. Advocation doesn’t mean you yell, but it’s about thinking constructively about how you can take the things that students are finding issues with and bring them to the attention of the adults,” said Williams. “You speak up and you let people know how students are feeling and how you support them.”

Most of BSG’s programming this year will be done through CampusGroups, and the members will take advantage of the chat features and updates for students. BSG’s Constitution can also be accessed through CampusGroups.

“CampusGroups … will centralize everything and hopefully make things easier for students … if it’s mass downloaded,” said Harry Sherman ’21, BSG vice president.

In addition to CampusGroups, BSG is using Zoom and email to provide information to the campus community. Committee meetings will also be conducted online, and members will be contacted by email, text or CampusGroups messages. Despite the adjustments, senior officers are thrilled to begin the year.

“Excited to finally get started, feels like a long time coming, definitely feels good to have everybody here,” said Sherman.