Unenrolled students required to make early decision about spring semester

Editor’s note 10/04/2020 at 7:56 p.m. EDT: This article has been modified to reflect an update from Dean of Student Affairs Janet Lohmann. 

Students currently taking a personal leave of absence (PLOA) must submit their request for re-enrollment by 5 p.m. EDT on October 16 if they are seeking re-admittance for the spring, Dean of Students Kristina Bethea Odejimi announced in an email on Thursday.

To formally request re-enrollment, students must write a letter that includes a description of how they spent their time spent away, reflections on being away from the College and an explanation of how they might reintegrate into the Bowdoin community. Upon re-enrollment for the spring semester, students will be able to participate in the housing lottery and course registration but will not be able to participate in any campus groups, events, activities or leadership opportunities until the start of the spring semester.

The email also explained that students who do not intend to seek re-enrollment for the semester must contact their dean to discuss the possibility of extending their PLOA.

In an email to the Orient on September 27, Dean of Student Affairs Janet Lohmann provided an update that students who are not enrolled will not be required to make a final decision about whether to re-enroll for the spring semester before being notified of the College’s plans for the spring.

In an email sent last Wednesday to all students outlining the current plan for the spring semester, President Clayton Rose made it clear that the College has not yet come to a solidified conclusion about who will be on campus in the spring and whether any classes will be taught in person.