Student tests positive for COVID-19, raises total on-campus cases to two 

One student has tested positive for COVID-19 after results from tests administered on Wednesday were released to students and the College community early Thursday morning. According to an email sent to the Bowdoin community from COVID-19 Resource Coordinator Mike Ranen, this is the first positive case identified through the College’s testing program in partnership with the Broad Institute.

The College has two active cases of COVID-19; however, the first case was a student who received a positive test result while en route to campus. The student went directly to Stowe Inn, the housing that the College has set aside for isolation.

In an email to the Orient, Scott Hood, senior vice president for communications and public affairs, declined to share either of the students’ class years.

A third student was also placed under a 14-day quarantine due to possible exposure to COVID-19. This student was the only person known to have been in close contact—defined as less than six feet apart for longer than 15 minutes—with the most recently infected student.

In his email, Ranen reiterated that students in quarantine will be delivered meals and will receive access to telehealth, counseling and COVID-19 testing. Students in isolation will stay in Stowe Inn until they have received two negative tests.

As of Wednesday, the College had conducted 2,142 tests for on-campus students. On-campus faculty and staff are tested once or twice a week and have had zero total cases so far.

According to the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Brunswick has cumulatively had 28 probable and confirmed cases.

The College will continue to update the Bowdoin COVID-19 Dashboard daily with results from the previous day’s testing.