Think Savage! A good year for the Maine Greens

To the Editor,

Who will be the rising star on the political horizon this coming year?

I am every day more and more convinced that Lisa Savage ’77 is the one. Thank you for featuring her op-ed in last week’s Orient. Lisa and her rousing team of volunteers are now gathering signatures for her to be on the ballot in the general election this fall for United States Senator.

Never has the outlook been so auspicious for a statewide Maine Green Independent Party candidate. I have assisted all of them since 1994. And each time we were hampered, in fact stifled, by the unfair rules of the game imposed by the two major parties.

The rules have now been changed for elections to federal office. Ranked-choice voting is now the law. The voter does not have to withhold their vote for a candidate they want for fear that in doing so they will assure the victory of the candidate they fear or despise. The voter is free to choose whom they want. Spoiler-ism is not a factor in this race. Nor does your signature on Lisa’s petition to be on the ballot obligate you to vote for her in November. It just means that Lisa’s name is added to the Democratic, Republican and Independent candidates for the November election, enhancing your choice.

I can’t wait for Lisa to get on the ballot so that people have a chance to weigh fairly and clearly the stands that the different candidates take on crucial issues. Student debt is one of them. Healthcare for all is another. Dealing effectively with climate change is arguably the most important of all, the answer to which, via a Green New Deal, is closely tied to revamping our economy for peacetime jobs for all and a fair distribution of the fruits of our labors.

You will find, as the debate starts in a big way, that Lisa Savage has by far the most compelling, comprehensive, credible and caring case to be made to meet bravely and resolutely the incredible threats to our lives and livelihoods.

Think Savage! This is a vitally important year. Helping her to get ballot status to even the playing field will enliven the debate this spring, summer and fall so that all the crucial issues are fully aired. And Lisa may well emerge the winner. Signature collectors will be in Thorne Hall on Friday, February 7 and Friday, February 14; the times are 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m.

Sincerely,

John Rensenbrink

Topsham, Maine

Professor Emeritus Department of Government and Legal Studies, 1962 – 1995

Co-Founder, United States Green Party

Co-Founder, Maine Green Independent Party

2 comments:

1. James Pierce says:

With all due respect to Professor Resenenbrick, whom my class knew well, voting the Green party ticket just doesn’t resonate with me. Ralph Nader, the Green’s great hope, was an unrepentant political spoiler in 2000 and the last Green candidate who ran for president proved a little too cosy with Putin. The Green party here has a long way to go before reaching the status it has achieved in Germany and the Netherlands.

James Pierce
    Bowdoin 1969

• Jeff Lazar says:

With all due respect, your reasoning for rejecting Green party candidates outright don’t seem especially reasonable. The Green party here does have a long way to go. And that’s why this election is an important and hopefully progressive step forward.

With Lisa#1, Gideon#2, a truly meaningful message will be sent to the Dems to take progressive issues more seriously without spoiling the race.