Roux P’14 donates $100 million to Northeastern University graduate school

David Roux P ’14, a member of Bowdoin Board of Trustees, has donated $100 million to Northeastern University to build a technology-focused graduate school and research center in Portland.

The center, which will be called the Roux Institute, is slated to open this fall in a temporary location.

Roux, a native of Lewiston, is the co-founder and former CEO of Silver Lake Partners, a private equity firm that specializes in technology investments. In 2016, Roux and his wife Barbara donated $10 million to Bowdoin to fund the construction of the Roux Center for the Environment, which opened in the fall of 2018.

According to the Portland Press Herald, Roux considered 12 academic institutions as the potential recipient of his investment before settling on Northeastern. Senior Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs wrote in an email to the Orient that because the Roux Institute will award graduate degrees, Bowdoin was not one of those considered.

Hood added, however, that President Clayton Rose has had conversations with Roux about how Bowdoin may be involved with the institute in the future.

The center will train students and professionals in new frontiers of tech research, including artificial intelligence and machine learning. In the long term, the center aims to position Portland as a new hub for technology innovation and investment, Roux said at an event in Portland announcing his investment on Monday.

Aside from serving on the Board of Trustees, Roux has deep ties to the College. His daughter, Margot, graduated from Bowdoin in 2014, and Roux’s father, brother and sister are all alumni. Roux himself graduated from Harvard.