Three students involved in serious bike accidents

Three students have been involved in serious bicycle crashes on campus in recent weeks, Director of Safety and Security Randy Nichols wrote in an email to the campus on Tuesday. All three students received minor to moderate injuries and have returned to campus.

The first accident took place on October 5 on College Street and the second on October 12 on Park Row.

“We had [the first] two incidents where students were biking along and flipped right over the handlebars and went airborne and came down on their faces, on the pavement,” Nichols said in an interview with the Orient. Both students received facial and head injuries, and one broke a tooth.

The third incident occurred on October 30, when a student on a bicycle collided with a moving facility van near the Burton-Little House, resulting in a shoulder and face injury.

Nichols also noted in his email that the Office of Safety and Security has recently received numerous recent complaints from drivers about near misses with cyclists in and around campus.

“We have also had a number of pedestrians who were using campus walkways that reported bicyclists operating unsafely and coming too close to them on the walkways,” Nichols said.

Nichols said that while bike accidents themselves are not uncommon on campus, the occurrence of three incidents in as many weeks prompted him to send a safety announcement to campus.