Talk of the Quad

Total Number of Articles: 137

First Article on this Page: October 27, 2023

Latest Article on this Page: March 1, 2024

Talk of the Quad

Rainbow’s end

Not every 18-year-old can say they’ve been a guardian for a child, much less for three different children. But this past summer, on August 10th, I had one single day where I was.

I went to Camp Aloha Hive, a …

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Heart for history

I’ll admit it: Maine’s lighthouses entered my imagination long before Bowdoin or the rest of the state did.

First seeing lighthouses in a cartoon at five years old and following it up with a healthy dose of lighthouse books, magazines, …

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Mirror, mirror

There’s a small coffee shop right down the street from my high school in Pittsburgh, Pa. It’s one of those newer, trendier local spots—the walls and tables are covered in plants, and Bon Iver and Hozier play quietly from the …

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Little Lights

I have always preferred lowlight. Streetlights, headlamps, starlight. Daylight filtered through the trees, sunrises as a wake-up call, sunsets coming like a surprise present. It is here where the most beauty seems to occur.

Daylight.

A little spot of shade, …

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Impressions of insects

I believed there were ladybugs crawling around my room. They turned out not to be.

Instead, they were Asian lady beetles (“Harmonia axyridis”). Common on campus in the fall and winter months, Asian lady beetles collect around windows and doors …

Read more