BSG hosts President Safa Zaki, talks implementing change, college costs

Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) convened on Wednesday in the Mills Hall event space and hosted President Safa Zaki to discuss her vision for the College and changes to come.

Zaki explained that her aim in her first year was to listen to others and learn about the College. She took steps to acquaint herself with the students and the faculty, including meeting with every academic chair, offering students lunches and attending campus events. Now, in her second year, she looks towards strategic planning to implement changes, including more support for textbook costs, a campus plan for renovations and improving structures for student research.

Zaki emphasized that she wants to have the voices of students and faculty aid her in implementing changes.

“One of the most important things in strategic planning is to engage the community, to make sure that key stakeholders are at the table,” Zaki said. “I am eager to hear from you.”

Following her introduction, Zaki answered questions from BSG and audience members about methods for strategic planning and specific changes.

BSG Vice President Elliot Ewell ’27 raised concerns over the hidden costs of attending college, including transportation and laundry. He asked about Bowdoin’s role in covering these costs and selecting who should receive support. Zaki responded that this support is the College’s responsibility to the extent it is financially possible. Zaki noted her differences in background and identity from prior Bowdoin presidents as a first-generation immigrant and emphasized the importance of opening doors.

“A place like Bowdoin may not always feel like you fully belong,” she said. “I know that there are a lot of both hidden costs and hidden curriculum to this place…. Part of my goal as president is to figure it out and work on it.”

Addressing questions about declining enrollment in the humanities, Zaki expressed belief in the importance of a liberal arts education. By taking a variety of classes across disciplines, she said Bowdoin students are equipped to tackle issues such as income inequality, climate change and the role of technology in our lives.

“You’re going to be so powerful when you graduate,” she said. “We will not be cutting humanities departments at Bowdoin.”

An audience member brought up concerns that the Ad Hoc Committee on Investments and Responsibility’s recent listening sessions did not provide time for questions from the audience.

Zaki said she is not a part of the committee and that concerns should be raised with the committee itself.

“The committee really needs to be independent from me,” Zaki said. “So I encourage you to share your feedback with them.”

The meeting ended with two votes on funding-related proposals. BSG passed a proposal to request funding for a retreat that occurred in September as well as a proposal to reserve more funding for upcoming activities.