Highlight Reel for April 19

VAULT AND PEPPER

The women’s track and field team placed second, and the men’s team placed third, at the Carla Coffey Invitational hosted by Smith College last weekend. Kianne Benjamin ’24 won the 100m (12.12) and 200m (25.13), claiming top marks in the NESCAC for this spring. Abby Mueller ’24 took first in the 5K and achieved a career best by 16 seconds, and Gracie Scheve ’25 won the triple jump (10.23m). The women’s relay team took second place with a 4.05.77 finish. On the men’s side, Ian Stebbins ’25 set a new school record in the pole vault (4.76m) and earned the top height in the NESCAC. Max Russo ’24 won the 400 hurdles (54.33) to achieve the second-best time in the NESCAC this year. The team will compete at home in the Pine Tree State Classic tomorrow.

OUT OF POCKET

On Monday evening, the men’s lacrosse team (10–2; 8–0 NESCAC) dominated Amherst College (9–4; 5–3 NESCAC) 19–8, adding onto a string of four previous wins. Bowdoin took a 4–1 lead early and ended the first quarter 5–2 with one goal and two assists from Will Byrne ’24. With just under two minutes left in the half, Jason Lach ’25 scored to give the team a four-goal lead. In the third quarter, Byrne scored another goal and assisted two more on a 3–0 run for the Polar Bears, who went on to score five times in less than eight minutes in the final quarter. Byrne totaled four goals and five assists. Lach, Sam Raye Steiner ’26 and Huck Trafton ’27 each scored a hat trick. Monday’s win also ensures the team a home NESCAC quarterfinal game on April 27. The Polar Bears will face Wesleyan University (10–3; 6–2 NESCAC) tomorrow in Middletown, Conn.

EAGLE EYE

The men’s golf team finished in a tie for fifth place at the Dr. Tim Brown Invitational hosted by Skidmore College. The Polar Bears finished with a two-day total of 582 and tied with Babson College. Matthew Cohen ’27 came in second place individually with a two-day score of 136—the best score to par for a Bowdoin player at a two-day tournament in fifteen years. Ian Harris ’27 finished 29th and Jack Barned ’26 finished 36th. This weekend, the team will head to Western Massachusetts to compete at the Williams Spring Invitational at Williams College.