Polar Bear of the Week: Gia Massari ’25

December 1, 2023

Courtesy of Brian Beard
TRIPLE THREAT: Women’s hockey forward Gia Massari ’25 is starting the team off strong with three goals scored in the first three games of the season.

Picking up the pace from last season, women’s hockey forward Gia Massari ’25 glided fiercely through the first three games this season with three goals scored. Massari ended last season with six goals and nine assists. This year, she anticipates maximum team effort toward a fun and strong season.

Massari emphasized the importance of team cohesion as it transitions into a new season. In tandem with changes to the team’s roster, Massari explained the team’s focus on revitalizing their playing style with a more active strategy.

“We have been trying to focus on being not a team that reacts, but a team that attacks,” Massari said. “We split with Williams.… It was a strong start, and we were all happy with how we played.”

Massari’s outlook and mindset intend to build a bold fortitude going into the games.

“Being confident is a big thing. If you’re confident, then you’re automatically going to be stronger … that’s always an individual goal for me,” Massari said. “Move your feet and take shots, don’t be scared and attack.”

Massari’s position as a forward further connects her to her teammates. She highlighted a moment from last season in which the Polar Bears beat Nazareth University in a 2–1 overtime win. Massari assisted Sara Ito-Bagshaw ’26 in her first collegiate goal and recalled the excitement of sharing in that moment.

Before Bowdoin, Massari said her family played a role in sparking her interest in the sport.

“I have two older brothers and they both played,” she said. “Watching my brothers [play], it was just always fun, and I liked it from the start…. My family is a hockey family, and we’ve all always loved hockey together. [My dad] always pushed me to be better. I appreciate that, and I’m glad that I had that experience.”

Massari spoke of the pace of the game and its speed as facets of what attracted her most about pursuing hockey on a more rigorous level.

“It’s just an energetic, fun game. Every team I’ve ever been on has been everyone [loving] each other … we all play for each other,” she said. “Hockey especially—you can’t do it yourself. It teaches you to trust people and work with people.”

Massari commends the team’s atmosphere, especially their camaraderie and bond. A team building activity that has stuck with Massari as a fond memory is the recreational powderpuff game.

“We took [powderpuff] so seriously,” she said. “It’s just fun…. Everyone’s so competitive, so no one wanted to lose.”

The team expects to call upon their bond and spirit in their upcoming game this weekend against Colby College. Massari spoke on the team’s preparation and strategy.

“We know [Colby] is a hard team to play.… Building off of this weekend and [Williams College’s] weekend, we know we’ve been doing a good job of getting shots and being offensive and working together,” she said. “We just have to continue to trust each other and rely on each other, and then we’ll be okay.”