Men’s soccer remains undefeated with win against Williams after doubleheader weekend

SOMETHING TO KICK ABOUT: The men’s soccer team huddles up. After two consecutive wins against Williams and Thomas, the team will play Wheaton College in Norton, Mass. tomorrow.

On Sunday, Bowdoin men’s soccer (6–0–2; 2–0–2 NESCAC) capped off a doubleheader weekend with a 2–0 road win over NESCAC rival Williams College (5–1–1; 2–1–1 NESCAC). The team followed up this win with an 11–0 victory over Thomas College (3–3–5) on Wednesday night.

Midfielder Tyler Huck ’26 received an assist from Mateo Pacelli ’26 and broke away on the left side of the field to score early in the second half before finding the back of the net with a penalty kick to secure the win. The victory comes on the heels of a  2–2 tie against Middlebury College last Saturday.

In that match, Bowdoin fell behind 2–0 before tying up the game with goals from forward Felipe Rueda Duran ’26 and midfielder Ronaldo Cabral ’25. Captain and midfielder Julian Juantorena ’23 viewed the deficit as an opportunity to grow, noting that rebounding in a game is a fundamental skill he is glad the team got to experience.

“You need to go behind at some point,” Juantorena said. “I think that’s a … good maturing moment for us.”

Midfielder Carlton Steinberg ’24 agreed that the Middlebury game was an important learning moment.

“There [are] going to be games that don’t go your way, and you just have to keep playing. I think we learned … to be more gritty,” Steinberg said.

Head Coach Scott Wiercinski believes falling behind at Middlebury helped the team loosen up throughout the weekend.

“The worst has already happened, so let’s just let it rip,” Wiercinski said. “They played some of their best soccer after we were down to the nail.”

The team’s second wind momentum carried through to Bowdoin’s game at Williams this past weekend.

“You can’t leave anything in the tank,” Huck said, noting that the game was also Williams’ second. “We were all pretty hyped up, especially after having to come back against Middlebury.”

Wiercinski knew the team had to prepare for Williams’s tough, physical playing style.

“It’s a little bit like a street fight,” Wiercinski said. “If you’re getting punched in the face, you have to swing back.”

After a scoreless first half, Huck broke open the scoring just three minutes after halftime. He beat his defender on a one-on-one opportunity and slotted home his fourth goal of the season. A penalty kick by Huck late in the game earned him his fifth goal and gave Bowdoin a comfortable 2–0 lead.

For Steinberg, the weekend’s games against two NESCAC rivals indicated what the team is capable of.

“We … wanted to prove we are a good team,” he said. “The expectations are very high and we really want to get a top-four spot so we can have home-field advantage and go far in the NESCAC tournament and hopefully make a run into the NCAA tournament.”

Wiercinski believes that helping the team achieve its goals starts with consistency.

“When we show up and play well and compete hard, we’re a pretty difficult team to beat. But if we don’t show up, every team on our schedule is good enough to beat us,” he said.

The team’s tight bond motivates them to maintain a consistent high level of play.

“We want to cherish the moments and cherish the wins but also keep going ahead,” Steinberg said.

The Polar Bears leave the weekend undefeated and looking to build on their momentum going to crucial matchups at the end of their season. After the win against Thomas on Wednesday, the team will travel to Norton, Mass. to play Wheaton College (5–4) tomorrow afternoon.