Despite loss, women’s soccer remains hopeful for rest of season

WELL, SHOOT: The women’s soccer team lost to the University of Southern Maine (USM) last Tuesday, but returns to the field hopeful with games against Middlebury and Williams this weekend on the road.

On Tuesday, the women’s soccer team (3–1–2; 1–0–1 NESCAC) suffered a 1–0 loss against the University of Southern Maine (USM). The loss follows a mixed bag of results since the team tied Bates College (1–2–2; 0–1–1 NESCAC) in its first game of the season.

Though the Polar Bears outshot the Huskies 22–9, USM’s goalkeeper saved every shot Bowdoin sent her way. Following a rainy halftime, USM managed to get a shot past goalkeeper Charlotte Iannone ’26, who had previously saved five of USM’s attempts. With 23 seconds remaining in the game, the Polar Bears had the opportunity to tie up the game with a penalty shot, but were unable to convert.

Despite the loss, team members remain hopeful for the season to come.

“[Tuesday’s game] was a little bit of a disappointment. I think we dominated the game, but we had a lot of shots we just couldn’t get through,” Iannone said. “Moving forward, we need to have that same energy and capitalize on the opportunities we’re getting.”

This sentiment is bolstered by the team’s track record so far. Last Friday, the team beat Connecticut College 1–0. Forward Morgan Smiley ’24 scored the game’s lone goal with an assist from defender Eshani Baez ’25. Even though Conn. outshot the Polar Bears 8–3 during the first half of the game, Iannone kept the ball out of the net long enough for Bowdoin to come back with a 5–1 advantage in shots.

“Our win against Connecticut College was definitely big … since we tied Bates in the beginning of the season. I think that win helped push us through the rest of our season,” midfielder Nina Hashimoto ’24 said.

Hashimoto scored the game-winning goal against Maine Maritime Academy last Sunday afternoon, assisted by Stephanie Christianson ’26. For Hashimoto, the game was especially memorable because it was the first goal of her collegiate career after being relegated to the sideline for three years because of the Covid-19 pandemic and an injury.

“I’m so happy that I got the score,” she said. “We possessed the ball way more during the game than [Maine Maritime]. We want to work on finishing, just getting the ball in the back and scoring more.… We just have to make it happen.”

The team’s optimism is reinforced by its dynamic off the field. One of Iannone’s favorite parts of the season has been bonding with her teammates, especially during their pregame dance parties.

“We have a special dance that we do to this one song,” she said. “When [the song] turns on, I’m like ‘OK, it’s game time. We’re going.’”

Following Tuesday’s loss to USM, the team is hitting the road. Tomorrow, the Polar Bears will play Middlebury College (3–1–2; 0–1–1 NESCAC) before heading down U.S. Route 7 to take on  Williams College (4–0–1; 1–0–1 NESCAC) on Sunday.

“I think [Middlebury] is really going to come at us with a vengeance,” Iannone said. “They’re going to be out for blood.”

Iannone believes the team’s upcoming games will be instrumental in defining the rest of its season.

“I think this weekend’s going to be a big challenge, but it’s one we really need to face. I think it’ll set the tone for how we play the rest of the season,” Iannone said.