Highlight Reel for September 8

GOAL DIGGER

In the first nighttime home game in Bowdoin men’s soccer program history, the Polar Bears defeated the University of New England (UNE) 5–1. The win brings the sixth-ranked team to a 1–0–0 record to kick off its season. Tyler Huck ’26 scored the team’s first goal in the third minute, and Felipe Rueda Duran ’26 scored the remaining four, placing him just one short of the 1989 school record scored by Bob Shultz against Maine Maritime Academy. Huck also tallied three assists, one shy of the school record set in 2018 by Matty McColl. The game improved Bowdoin’s record against UNE to 25–0 since the first game in 1990. Tonight, the Polar Bears will return to Pickard Field to play Bates (0–1; 0–0 NESCAC).

JOIN THE CREW

The sailing team will return to the water this weekend at the Harry Anderson Trophy, the Toni Deutsch Trophy, the Harman Trophy, the Charles Invite and the Harvard Invite. Last year, the Polar Bears ended their season with a tenth-place finish at Open Fleet Race National Championship, hosted at Kings Point from May 30 to June 2. The team also finished fifth at the Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s Fleet Race Nationals, its highest ever. Thomas Hall ’25, Hattie Slayton ’23, Timmy Gee ’25, Chris Lukens ’23, Meghan Gonzalez ’23, Isabelle Tsuchitori ’26, Jondall Norris ’25, Holliss Hirsch ’25, Sam Bonauto ’25 and Tbo Antonietti ’24 competed for Bowdoin in the final rounds.

CORN(ER) ON THE COB

On Tuesday evening, the field hockey team (1–0; 0–0 NESCAC) netted six goals to win its season opener against the University of New England (UNE). In under ten minutes, Georgie Coetzer ’23 scored the team’s first goal on a penalty corner. Coetzer then shot another ball on net to set up Maddie Mrva ’27 for her first collegiate goal, putting the Polar Bears up 2–0 in the first quarter. Faith Jennings ’23 and Caroline Higgins ’24 split the remaining four goals. The Polar Bears will host Bates (1–0; 0–0 NESCAC) in their first NESCAC game of the season tomorrow at noon.