Highlight Reel for March 5

FALL SPORTS?

In an email to the Bowdoin community Thursday afternoon, President Clayton Rose announced that, as long as the NESCAC approves intercollegiate competition, “there will in all likelihood be a full athletic schedule in the fall.” However, he is not as confident about the probability of attendance at sporting events by local residents or family members. “In terms of public access to campus—to attend events, cheer on our teams, or just take advantage of our open spaces—we will have to wait and evaluate the circumstances at the time and may have to grant access in phases,” wrote Rose. While this announcement is not a resounding endorsement for a return of athletics in the fall, it is the most confidently Rose has spoken, to date, on a return to normal.

BOSTON MARATHON

The Boston Marathon will be virtual this year, which has some runners very angry. However, many believe that this plan is the best way to make sure that everyone stays safe and healthy. The Boston Athletic Association (BAA), which organizes the marathon, announced that it hopes to have a smaller, in-person race in October, but it recognized that there was no way to ensure the safety of everyone involved in the event if it were to be held in April. The BAA has also announced that it will deliver up to 70,000 medals to athletes who complete the 26.2 miles, whether they meet the qualification times or not. As long as a participant is 18 or older and pays a fee, they will be eligible for a medal. Last year, the Boston Marathon was also held virtually in April, and the in-person event they attempted to organize in September was also cancelled.

CUT OUT

The NCAA announced yesterday that it will hold a fan cutout program for the March Madness Final Four tournament games to support local and national community organizations. While a limited number of fans will be able to attend in-person, the cardboard cutouts will be placed between them. All proceeds will go to the United Way’s Central Indiana COVID-19 Recovery and Rebound effort and Hilinski’s Hope, a national nonprofit promoting awareness and education of student-athlete mental health and wellness.