The Bowdoin Orient offers advertising space in our 24 print editions each year and continuously online. The Orient is a tremendously successful advertising platform: there’s a reason our repeat advertisers keep coming back.
The Orient is the main source of news for students, faculty and staff alike and is read voraciously across campus each week. Not only is the Orient home to award-winning journalism covering all aspects of Bowdoin, the Orient is beloved and accessible forum where students and community members alike can express ideas, share experiences and engage in dialogue with each other through columns, op-eds, Talks of the Quad and letters to the editor.
The Orient’s readers are predominantly members of the Brunswick community – students, faculty, staff, all in need of goods and services such as transportation, health care, financial services, food and restaurants, entertainment, dorm furnishings and supplies, moving services, summer storage and summer employment.
The Orient is also read by parents, grandparents and alumni alike, who descend on Brunswick annually for arrival, parents weekend, homecoming, graduation and reunion. These non-resident readers are in need of goods, services during their time here such as lodging, meals, entertainment and transportation, and the Orient is the best way to reach them.
Bowdoin College Quick Facts
• Over 1,800 enrolled full time
• 50/50 male/female
• About 90% of students from out of state
• Over 7,000 prospective students and families visit each year
Faculty & Staff
• Bowdoin College is the 9th largest private employer in Cumberland County, and the 25th largest private employer in Maine.
• 931 employees
• 199 faculty (full time equivalent)
• 358 administrators (full time equivalent)
• $68,620 per year comprehensive fee including room and board
The printed paper is read voraciously by the entire Bowdoin community.
• The Orient is published every Friday while classes are in session (see below for production schedule).
• Average of 1500 copies distributed free at 26 on-campus locations and 15 locations in Brunswick.
• Mailed to 100+ home-delivery subscribers.
• The Orient is read by on-campus by students, faculty, staff and local residents, and off-campus by parents, alumni and friends of the College.
Our website is an established and broad online presence.
• 7,000 average unique users / week
• 17,000 pageviews / week
• 3,813 followers on Twitter
• 3,834 followers on Facebook
• 1,300+ subscribers to weekly email newsletter
Our engaged readers find us through all channels.
• 54% through organic search
• 26% through social media
• Our weekly newsletter has a 53% open rate
*Data as of July 2019
Production Schedule, 2019-2020
• August 31 (Orientation Issue)
• September 6, 13, 20, 27
• October 4 (Homecoming Weekend), 18, 25 (Family Weekend)
• November 1, 8, 15, 22
• December 6
• January 24, 31
• February 7, 14, 21, 28
• March 27
• April 3, 10, 17 (Admitted Students Weekend), 24
• May 1
|Type||Size||Sq. in.||$/Sq. in. (approx.)||Price|
|Full Page||10.125”×15.2”||154 sq. in||$3.25||$500|
|Half Page – Vertical||5”×15.2”||76.0 sq. in.||$4.00||$304|
|Half Page – Horizontal||10.125”×7.5”||76 sq. in.||$4.00||$304|
|Four Column||6.71”×7.2”||48.3 sq. in.||$4.60||$222|
|Quarter Page||5”×7.5”||37.5 sq. in.||$4.60||$173|
|Short Quarter||5”×3.45”||17.25 sq. in.||$5.00||$86|
|Business Card||3.3”×2”||6.5 sq. in.||$5.50||$35|
*Student-led on-campus organizations receive a 50% discount on all ads.
• Deadlines: All print ads must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the Wednesday of the week they are to run.
• Submission: Ads must be submitted digitally via email as an image file (.jpg, .png, .bmp) or a document file (.pdf, .eps). Ensure that raster graphics are exported at 300 dots per inch for maximum image quality.
• Conditions: The Orient reserves the right to alter an ad’s size to fit a page’s layout.
Web Ads New!
A better way to reach the Bowdoin community
The Orient is committed to the print paper but a sizable majority of our readership is online. On campus, everyone still picks up the print paper, its strewn throughout the dining halls, but students, faculty and staff all read the Orient online when they’re on the go or at home. For Parents and Alumni, our website is the primary way that they engage with our content. Our audience is reached through an engaged following on Facebook, Twitter and a weekly newsletter sent out to over 700 subscribers.
How does it work?
The Orient has two different ad slots on our website – a square ad and a banner ad. These display both on our homepage and on each article. For each slot, we place three ads each week. In each slot, the ad that displays for each user alternates between the three loaded ads in that spot – in other words, each ad placed will display for one third of the traffic to that page. Ads render the same on both desktop and mobile platforms.
Schedule: We run advertisements on a weekly schedule. Our web advertisements run on the weekly print cycle, Friday through Thursday.
• Deadlines: All web ads must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the Wednesday of the publication week they are to run.
• Submission: Ads must be submitted submitted digitally in the specified resolution via email as a .png, .gif, or .jpg
• Payment: Invoices will be sent out during the week the ad is visible online.
• Conditions: The Orient reserves the right to alter an ad’s size to fit a page’s layout
Ad Design Services
Our talented layout and design staff will design and typeset an ad for you. We charge an additional 10% of the cost of the first ad for this service.