Homecoming talent show brings class years past and present to Jack Magee’s Pub

Michael Solano
TALENT ATTACHES: Liam Rodriguez '28 gives an impromptu music performance at Jack Magee Pub's talent show for students and alumni.

As Homecoming brought students and alumni together for a weekend of athletics and family programming, one of the most lively events was the student and alumni talent show. The show was coordinated by Assistant Director of Annual Giving Rachel Morse in partnership with the Black Alumni Association (BAA) and was held at Jack Magee’s Pub.

The rehearsed performances ranged from alumni comedy segments to Rubik’s Cube solving. After the last act on the list finished, several students took to the stage to perform unrehearsed talents.

Patrick Hervy ’28 was enthusiastic about the showcase. Within the intimate setting of the Pub, Hervy felt that an inclusive space created—a space he shared with Ian Schael Aponte ’28 when they performed an impromptu performance of “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz.

“I think there’s something special about playing unrehearsed—all the imperfections speak to who you are in that specific moment, and being able to share that with people was really special,” Liam Rodriguez ’28, one of the impromptu performers, said.

Eric Bell ’93, the emcee,  took on the role shortly before the show began. Students spent the night laughing with Bell as he dazzled the crowd with jokes and stories.

“I love the energy of the students,” Bell said. “When I was [at Bowdoin], [I] just worked hard. I love to play hard. So, when I heard about trivia night, open mic, talent showcase, I just wanted to come and have a good time. Anything it takes to … create an atmosphere where people can come out and have fun—I’m down for it.”

Ray Mitchell ’28, delivered a poem entitled “The Message,” highlighting the erasure of the Black experience in America and instilling unity amongst those who have been ignored or deemed “odd.” In her reading, Mitchell referenced the comfort drawn from her friends and the Black community.

Several representatives of the BAA, alongside Bell, cheered students on as the night progressed. BAA President Michael Owens had a message to the current students, emphasizing their role as changemakers.

“The love you’ve shown each other tonight and [the] support you showed each other tonight—it is going to move us and save us,” Owens said.

Student representatives were also hard at work to ensure the event was a success.. Mylia Vigue ’27, a sophomore class agent and student Pub manager, was staffing the event as a liaison to the alumni giving office.

“There’s a large disconnect between what has happened in the history of Bowdoin and now,” Vigue said. “For this event, I think it’s really made alumni accessible to me. I got to hang out with the emcee. I got to meet a bunch of people today.”

Whitney Pellegrino ’27, who performed a rendition of “Ho Hey” by the Lumineers, hopes the College will set up future student-alumni mixers in the arts.

“I think that integration [of students and alumni] helps a lot,” Pellegrino said. “I wish there had been a more formal mingling part of it. I know I would love to talk to any alumni who are involved in music.”

Mukudzei Seremani ’28, who came to watch the talent for the night, acknowledged the importance of the showcase in fostering conversations between students and alumni.

“[The talent show] is an opportunity for [students and alumni] to connect with a common ground,” Seremani said. “It shows that Bowdoin is a community and Bowdoin is a home, and people still feel that Bowdoin is home by supporting and coming back to see what current students are up to.”