Avenging its early season loss and keeping the postseason dream alive, the field hockey team defeated the Lord Jeffs of Amherst College on Sunday in the quarterfinals of the NESCAC Championship tournament.

However, the Polar Bears were unable to finish the regular season with a win as they fell 0-2 to the Tufts University Jumbos last Friday.

The sophomore class tallied all three of the Polar Bear goals en route to the 3-0 shutout victory in Amherst, Massachusetts.

The leading scorer for Bowdoin, Ella Curren '12, pocketed the first goal of the contest at 6:03 off of a penalty corner opportunity.

Senior co-captain Shavonne Lord '10 fed the ball to Curren waiting at the top of the scoring circle. Curren dangled around the Amherst defenders and launched a shot past the left foot of the netminder.

"It was really important for us as a team to set the tone of the game and control the pace right from the start," said Michaela Calnan '11. "Taking advantage of the early penalty corner opportunity gave us a lot of momentum, which we used to maintain control of the rest of the game."

At 14:22, forward Katie Herter '12 converted on the penalty stroke she was awarded as a result of an Amherst infraction in the scoring circle. Herter '12 unleashed a blistering shoulder-high shot to give the Polar Bears some insurance on their lead.

McKenna Teague '12 capped the scoring for Bowdoin at 50:37 with some impressive hand-eye coordination. The pass from Liz Clegg '12 was deflected into the air and Teague was able to bat it out of the air for the exclamation point on the Polar Bear victory.

Last Friday, the Polar Bears lost a rough game to the Jumbos of Tufts University.

The Jumbos were handed three green cards and two yellow cards for unsportsmanlike conducts, but were still able to come out with a win.

The first Tufts goal came just 4:34 into the second half when Tamara Brown collected a ball trickling off of the far post and guided it into the net.

Margie Scholtes '10 was awarded a penalty stroke at 65:42 after a Bowdoin defender inadvertently covered the ball in the scoring circle.

Polar Bear goalkeeper Emily Neilson '11 got a piece of the shot from Scholtes, but it was not enough to keep it out of the back of the net.

The Jumbos protected the two-goal lead for the remaining 4:18 to give Bowdoin its fifth NESCAC loss of the season.

The win on Sunday over the Lord Jeffs earned the Polar Bears a ticket to Trinity College for the second round of the NESCAC Championship tournament this Saturday.

"The team is thrilled to be playing in the NESCAC Finals," Head Coach Nicky Pearson said. "We were very disappointed with the result against Trinity in the regular season and welcome the opportunity to play them again."

The Bantams are currently the No. 1 ranked team in the NESCAC and defeated Bowdoin 2-1 earlier this season.