First year dies in car crash

Henry Zietlow ’22, from St. Paul, Minnesota, died in a car crash in Wisconsin on Monday.

According to a release from the Wisconsin State Patrol, Zietlow and his mother were headed north on Highway 63 near the town of Hayward when a southbound pickup truck lost control and crossed into the northbound lane, where it collided with their car. Zietlow’s mother suffered non life-threatening injuries. Road conditions were cited as a potential cause of the crash, but the matter remains under investigation.

President Clayton Rose notified students of Zietlow’s death in an email late Monday night.

“While Henry had completed just a single semester at Bowdoin, he was fully engaged in the life of the College,” Rose wrote.

Zietlow was a member of Bowdoin’s rowing team as well as a gifted violinist. He graduated from St. Paul Academy in St. Paul last June.

“His was a life full of promise, and he was someone who exemplified the very best of Bowdoin,” Rose wrote.

Rose added that students who wish to speak with a professional can reach out to Counseling Services. The College is planning a memorial service once classes have resumed.

This story has been updated.