The JV men’s soccer team finishes its season undefeated

Mackey O'Keefe
NOT THAT KIND OF FOOTBALL: The JV soccer team calls the old practice football field home. Coached by Tim Gilbridge, the head men's basketball coach, the team competes against club and post graduate teams around the state.

Men’s JV soccer may know the basketball team’s schedule as well as the players do. Tim Gilbride, the men’s basketball head coach for 34 years, doubles as the head coach for JV soccer.

The team ended its undefeated season just before Fall Break.

Many students are not aware of JV teams on campus. Yet 30 or so players ranging from different class years and skill levels all volunteered to play for Gilbride.

In 1997 and 1998, Gilbride was the head coach of varsity soccer and led the team to two consecutive NCAA tournaments. Paul Garlick ’19, JV team captain, explained his coaching strategy.

“[Gilbride] likes to front load the schedule. We play a bunch [of games] for the first month and a half of school and then we end right around the time that basketball season kicks in,” said Garlick. “He organizes [the season] and reaches out to a lot of different programs in the area for us to play. He does an awesome job in allowing all of us who love soccer to keep playing and gives us the opportunity to do so.”

Each season the team usually plays nine games, but this season they only played six. The competition ranges from college club teams to postgraduate (PG) schools for students who have graduated high school and are either taking a gap year or want to continue playing soccer or other sports.

The JV team has two captains: Garlick and Luke Frankel ’18. They both played high school soccer but decided to play JV in college because it’s easier to do various activities outside of the sport due to its relatively relaxed practice schedule.

This does not reduce the team’s access to athletic department resources, though. The JV team is afforded many of the same amenities as a varsity sport.

“We don’t have our own athletic trainer, but we have access to all of the other trainers in case of injury. We [also] have access to the sports medical plan. We have a coach, a field, they give us balls, uniforms etc,” explained Garlick.

In the beginning of the season, the players represent a variety of fitness and technical skill levels. But once they start playing everyday, their skills start to level out. Like any other team, the JV team prioritizes a strong communal aspect alongside athletic performance.

“We see each other everyday, and we usually get team meals after practice for those that can make it,” said Garlick. “We try to do social events towards the beginning of the season, so that everyone knows each other, especially in a context outside of just soccer.”