Fun in the sun

This piece represents the opinion of the Bowdoin Orient Editorial Board.

If you have not experienced it (actually, you’re in the middle of experiencing it), you have probably heard the stories. Drinking games in class on Thursday and Friday (bad). Students sprinting across Brunswick Quad with stolen beers, pursued by the rightful owners of said beers (depends on the brand of beer). The pretense of an ever-so-classy champagne brunch to drag you out of bed on Saturday (two thumbs up).  Enough shoving at the front of the Saturday show to trample a small animal to death (our preemptive condolences to the vertically challenged among us).

The weekend, though, is about much more than that. Or perhaps, much less. In the end, Ivies is not one thing but many. It’s about having a good time and reacquainting ourselves with the ideas of “the outdoors” and “nice weather.” It’s about spending meaningful time with old friends and meeting new ones. It’s a release valve for the pressure that accumulates from everyday academic and personal stressors, and it’s a break from the often deadening routine of Bowdoin weeks. Everyone goes about these activities differently and should feel comfortable continuing to do so, even on the last weekend in April.

What we will say, though, is to take advantage of a warm, spring weekend in Maine, in whatever way makes you happiest. This probably means staying out of the library and away from the Brunswick Police Department. We endorse both of those moves. We also endorse: selfies with Randy, one drink an hour interspersed with H2O, recovery naps, the rally (with or without the boot), jean jackets (but not jean skirts), outfits so bad they’re good (are they though?), unironic fun, embarrassing yourself in front of Irene and Connie, questionable class swag and Mohamed Nur.

So, if you’re replacing your blood with booze this weekend or just out here trying to catch a few rays, have a happy Ivies, Bowdoin.

This editorial represents the majority view of the Bowdoin Orient’s editorial board, which is comprised of Harry DiPrinzio, Dakota Griffin, Calder McHugh and Ian Ward.