Highlight Reel for March 2

Saving the day: The women’s hockey team (13-8-3, NESCAC 6-7-3) upset Hamilton (13-8-4, NESCAC 9-4-3) in the NESCAC Quarterfinals 3-1 on Saturday. This replicates the result from last year’s quarterfinals, where the Polar Bears beat the Continentals 1-0 in double overtime. This year, Kerri St. Denis ’19 impressed with 34 saves, compared to Hamilton’s 21. The team will head off to play No. 1 Middlebury—who it lost to 1-0 and 3-0 earlier this season—on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Hit the slopes: This past weekend, five men and five women of the alpine ski team travelled to West Mountain, New York to compete in the Eastern Region Championships. The men’s team clinched a fifth-place finish on each day of competition, qualifying the team for the USCSA National Championships for the first time in program history. Next Tuesday, the men’s team will depart for Lake Placid, New York to race slalom, giant slalom and dual panel slalom at nationals.

Down to the buzzer: The men’s basketball team (15-9, NESCAC 4-6) suffered a devastating last-minute 71-70 loss to Amherst (17-9, NESCAC 7-3) on Saturday afternoon, effectively eliminating them from the NESCAC Tournament in the quarterfinals. Jack Simonds ’19 scored a game high 25 points. On Wednesday, David Reynolds ’20 was named to Second Team All-NESCAC after leading the Polar Bears in scoring with an average of 15.4 points per game.

Stick it to ‘em: Both the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams begin their season this weekend against Connecticut College. The men’s team finished last season with a conference record of 7-3 and will return their six top scorers. The women’s team finished with a 5-5 record, but returns with all three of their All-NESCAC athletes. It is ranked 23rd in the IWCLA Division III Polls. The men’s team will travel to Connecticut College on Saturday at 1 p.m., while the women stay at home to face off against the Camels at 12 p.m.