Highlight Reel for Feb. 9

Running to glory: The men’s track and field team crushed the competition at the Maine State Meet on Sunday, finishing with a strong 223 points to beat second-place Bates by 43 points. This is the second first-place finish in three years for the team, who set the second highest point total in state indoor meet history. Sean MacDonald ’19 was also named Most Valuable Track Athlete at the championship after winning both the mile and the 3000M.

Leave it on the track: The women’s track and field team also gave a strong performance at the Maine State Meet on Saturday, coming in second place behind Bates with a total of 180 points. Despite the second-place finish, the Polar Bears won at every distance between the 200M and mile, with Sarah Kelley ’18 winning both the 800M and the mile.

Won’t be squashed: Both men’s and women’s squash competed in the NESCAC Championship this weekend at Hamilton. The women’s team dropped to Bates 9-0 in the opening round of the tournament, with Lex Horowitz ’19 winning the lone set for the Polar Bears. On the men’s side, the team made it to the quarterfinals after beating Tufts 6-3 before falling to Trinity 9-0. Both teams will compete in the CSA National Team Championships beginning on Feb. 16 for the women’s.

Bouncing back: Men’s basketball (14-7, NESCAC 3-5) lost to both Middlebury and Williams this weekend 70-72 and 55-72 respectively. Jack Simonds ’19 scored the most points in the Middlebury game with 18, with Liam Farley ’18 right behind him at 17. In the Williams game, the Polar Bears struggled to overcome an early lead by the Ephs. The team will finish the season this weekend at home with a game against Connecticut College on Friday at 7 p.m. followed by a game against Wesleyan on Saturday at 3 p.m.