Two transports, no police issues during Ivies

During this year’s Ivies Weekend, two first-year students were transported to Mid Coast Hospital for overconsumption of alcohol—one on Thursday night and one on Saturday night. Two minor injuries and two instances of theft occurred, but only one Security-related record was broken: the number of photos taken with Director of Safety and Security Randy Nichols and other officers on duty.

“[Students] wanted their pictures taken by the hundreds. We were involved in many, many pictures,” Nichols said.

Brunswick Police Department (BPD) did not issue any warnings or summons and was not involved in any incidents with Bowdoin students this weekend.

“Generally, it was a relatively safe weekend despite the fact that, as with all Ivies, there is a greater amount of alcohol consumed and a higher level of high-risk behavior,” Nichols said.

“We had to intercede a number of times at some of the events with regard to unsafe behavior that was taking place and basically just remind students to cool it and be safe,” he added.

Nichols said that the port-a-potties at the Brunswick Quad on Friday greatly reduced the number of instances of public urination, which had been a marked problem at Ivies in years past.

“We did not cite any students for it but we did warn a number of students for it, but we all noted that it was far less of a problem than it’s been in recent years,” he said.

“[I] heard that the [port-a-potties] actually were quite pleasant. One student said it actually smells like fresh pineapples,” said Nichols. “But regardless, you could put 25 porta potties there and someone will still try to pee in the bushes and so that did happen so we had to have chats with a number of students, but with far less frequency than in recent years.”

This year, Security introduced a pedicab manned by officer Allen Daniels. Nichols estimated that Daniels shuttled over 200 students on Friday and Saturday.

“[Daniels] got quite a workout,” Nichols said.

Despite the extra time many officers clocked in order to keep students safe, Nichols attributed the success of the weekend to students’ generally good behavior.

“This is my 11th Ivies,” said Nichols. “All of them have been successful and that’s because of the work of a lot of people around this campus in various departments, but mostly it’s due to the students themselves.”