This week in sports: 4/28 – 5/4

Tournament time.

The women’s tennis team (13-4, 5-3 NESCAC) is seeded fifth heading into the first round of NESCAC playoffs this weekend where it will face No. 2 Wesleyan (11-3, 5-3 NESCAC). The Polar Bears hope to build off their recent success—an 8-1 win over Babson (10-8) and a 9-0 shutout over MIT (12-8) last weekend—as they go up against a strong Cardinal squad. The team will face Wesleyan today at 1 p.m. at Williams.

Track stars.

Both the women’s and men’s outdoor track and field teams earned multiple All-NESCAC honors for outstanding performances throughout the season. Head Coach Peter Slovenski and assistant coaches Damon Hall, Jasia Richardson and Lynn Ruddy were recognized as the men’s track and field Coaching Staff of the Year for the first time ever after leading the team to a third-place finish at NESCAC championships. Thirteen Polar Bears earned accolades this spring, including Yaw Sekyere ’20, who was named NESCAC Rookie of the Year.

Terrific trio.

The women’s lacrosse team (10-6, 5-5 NESCAC) fell to No. 2 Hamilton (12-4, 8-2 NESCAC) 12-9 in the NESCAC quarterfinals last weekend to end its season. While it was a disappointing end to the season, the team put forward many strong team and individual performances, as Kara Finnerty ’20, Hannah Hirschfeld ’18 and Caroline Maxwell ’20 were all named to the All-NESCAC Second Team for their outstanding play this season.

Fearsome foursome.

Men’s lacrosse closes out the season with a 10-6 record—7-3 in league matchups—after a tough 12-11 loss to No. 5 Tufts (12-4, 6-4 NESCAC) in the first round of NESCAC playoffs last Saturday. The team will look to improve on this season’s results next year, led by a strong core of juniors that received All-NESCAC honors this week. Matthew Crowell ’18 was named to the First Team, accompanied by Daniel Buckman ’18, Brett Kujala ’18 and Parker Sessions ’18 on the Second Team.